Friday, May 22, 2009

Time travel

Stepping into Merrickville was a bit like stepping back in time. As I said yesterday, the buildings are built to last - and you can just feel the history exuding from the very streets. It's gentle, it's paced, and it embraces the old plus the new of things. Not just doing things because that's the way they've always been done, Merrickville also seems to embrace the newer generations, never mind the tourists.

If you're in the Ottawa area and want a wee getaway, it's a must-do. Plus, as the Chamber says, the parking's free! http://www.realmerrickville.ca/ (and you've got to love it when Holy Trinity church is in the Chamber!)

One of my favourite stores there was Mrs. McGarrigle's Fine Food Shop. They make their own fabulous brand of mustard, as I didn't find out till I was back on Bank Street in Ottawa (and found The Mustard Shop, full of...you guessed it) and saw it there. But they also had this great collection of clocks on the wall (available for purchase, too), and loved the place-times, including Amelia. I joked they should have a "Kathleen" clock, since my motto ought to be "on-time is when I get there".
They also had a great art-wall full of blocks down a staircase. I love it when for-purchase display is art in and of itself. The whole store was like this, a treat for all the senses. Including my tongue with an amazing dark chocolate sauce that snuck its way home in my suitcase...

Many reasons to return...

No comments:

Post a Comment