Wednesday, June 10, 2009

First BBQ of the season

First week of June, Bexx and the Boyz were in town. Nope, they're not a rock band - but they could be! My dear friend Rebekah and her lovely boys, Alexandre (3ish) and Zeppelin (5monthsish) who live in Kelowna came to Calgary via Ottawa on the Friends & Family Visiting Train.

We were lucky enough to have them stay two nights with us. What joy to have the little ones, to see things from the simple joys of three years old again, to rock a baby to sleep and hear his coos in the morning. And to see my lovely Bexx, blooming into her adult self and being a marvelous mom. To celebrate - we sent them home with a parting supper of our first BBQ of 2009! Burgers, dogs, my secret-recipe potato salad, and fried onions & mushrooms. Classic Calgary fare for our Kelowna relocatees.
What's pretty neat is that Aurora and Bexx have a special relationship. We met in Clearwater, she finishing high school (putting her instructors through their paces with thoughtful questions and not-in-the-pack quiet rebellion), me 28, newly pregnant and just finished my Comms degree - and both of us with a love of post-modern theorists, and admiring her 18-year-old fervor. Aside from being "there" when I was in labour with Aurora, Bexx was the first person besides me, Aurora's dad & uncle to hold my new baby. And when Aurora was only three months old, the sound of Bexx' voice dropping by after school would mean an insisted visit including holding and talking time (or I'd pay the price in tears) of no less than 45 minutes. After high school, Bexx was sweet enough to come & stay with me in Blue River to nanny Aurora - before being wooed by ski resort employment. Still, Aurora & Bexx forged an unbreakable bond - which seems to have carried to Bexx' own son, Alexandre.

When Alexandre was born, with his mama living in Calgary, we were privileged to be able to look after him - and I could see another bond forming between Alexandre & Aurora. Even today, although there are large gaps of time between visits, the two truly enjoy each other's company. Perhaps we need to get to Kelowna more often!

1 comment: